Five Brands for Spring Activewear

Happy Friday and first day of Spring! The theme for this week's Friday Five link up with Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Mar at Mar On The Run, and Cynthia at You Signed Up For What? is Spring!  
We've had a few really warm days here in Pittsburgh (it was 58F when I went running Tuesday morning!), so it's exciting that spring is on its way. But it's bittersweet for me because I hate to say goodbye to my winter workout clothes! The upside of course is that I get to say hello to all my warm weather clothes. It's fun to see the new colors and prints that herald the spring season, so this post focuses on picks from some activewear brands you may be less familiar with.

1. Yogasmoga
Yogasmoga is a relatively new company with a lot to love: U.S.-made products, eco-friendly dyeing, free shipping and returns, and customer rewards. In the past year Yogasmoga has introduced different fabrics and created items geared toward running and for casual wear in addition to just for yoga. I have a few pieces and really like them (my review of the Tippy Toe Legging here.) First-time shoppers get $25 off their order.

Side pockets in crops and tights are a must for me on long runs, and the only brands that feature them are Lululemon (on the majority of their running tights and crops) and Athleta (on one specific product--the Be Free knickers and tights). So I was pleasantly surprised to see that Yogasmoga has a new crop, the Zelos Crop, with one side pocket! I'm big on purple, so I love the pretty shades in this, but it also comes in a pretty green and grey.

I also really like the Vivacity Long Sleeve Tee. With mesh panels, it would be great for running on cooler days when you don't want bare arms. I reallylike this Adaman Green color.
2. Lorna Jane
Australian-based Lorna Jane has been getting really popular in the U.S. Last year I bought some tanks and bras. The tanks were great for running but the bras not so much. You can read my review here. New items are frequently released, and there are always sales. The designs include a lot of mesh, which I love for running.

I love the sexy design of the Summer S/Slv Excel Top, which has mesh at the top and the entire back. It looks like the mesh is the more opaque material that was used in the tanks I got last year, so it should be very breathable but not totally see-through. The bright color would be great to wear all summer long.

3. Splits59
I've heard really great things about Splits59. I love the bright spring colors in the Oliva Ellipse Performance Run Tee. The light blue panels are mesh. Because I run in the mornings when it's cooler, I tend to wear long sleeve tees through spring, so lightweight tees with mesh like this and the Yogasmoga one above are ideal.


4. CALIA by Carrie Underwood
This new line from Carrie Underwood is available exclusively at Dick's Sporting Goods and offers a lower price point than other high-end brands.

I really want to try the Inner Power Cross Front Mesh Bra. It's designed for high-impact performance like running, and it comes in actual bra sizes, which always seem to fit better than bras in general sizes (small or 6, for example). The mesh would be great for hot days, and the back is a unique design. I love this Smoky Plum color.

I love lightweight, seamless tops for warm-weather running. CALIA offers a Seamless Tank Top with ruching and a long length if you like bum coverage.

5. Sweaty Betty
I really like some of Sweaty Betty's pieces and have been wanting to try them. Sweaty Betty is a British company that has stores in and ships throughout the U.S. and Canada.

A lot of brands release floral designs for spring, but I'm not really into floral. So I'm always attracted to non-floral prints that are feminine. Sweaty Betty's Athlete Tank is available in two really pretty prints.

Unveiled at London Fashion Week last fall, the limited-edition Richard Nicoll collection is a collaboration between Sweaty Betty and British designer Richard Nicoll. The Japanese-inspired prints are beautiful, and I love the Shibori 7/8 Run Tights. But they come with a hefty pricetag--$410 for these tights! Not even I would pay that much for workout tights, but they are really pretty.
I hope you all enjoy this first weekend of spring!

I'm looking forward to reading others' posts. Reading the Friday Five posts is one of the highlights of my week, and I'm grateful for Courtney, Mar, and Cynthia for hosting this fun link up!

Labels: , , , ,