Goals Update: February


Is it just me, or did January fly by? It’s time to check in on goals. Here’s how I did on my January goals and what goals I’m making for February.

January Goals


1. Run 84 miles to stay on track for my 1,000-mile yearly goal.
Nope. I ran just under 75 miles. That’s okay, though, because I have upcoming months where I’ll be running more than 84 miles.

2. Begin training for May's Pittsburgh Half Marathon and do not skip a workout.
Yes! I haven’t missed any workouts and have done all my runs outside.

3. Start and maintain a new strength training routine. A trainer I worked with a couple years ago told me to switch up routines every four to six weeks so your body continues to be challenged by new exercises. Strength training is part of both my running and weight management goals.
Yes! I started and have been following this routine and have not missed a workout.

4. Do one plank a day. Every time I read about someone doing a plank challenge, I think, "Oh, that's a good idea. I should do that." Now's the time! This fits into my strength training goal.
Yes! I have done at least one plank a day, every day. On my lower body and core workouts, I do four. I reached a two-minute PR last week and am thrilled! This challenge was pretty easy to complete because I always had a minute or so to fit it in.

5. Do yoga every day. A few years ago I did a 30-day yoga challenge from Yoga Journal, and it was such a positive experience. While I had done yoga before then, it was only then that I really got into yoga and understood all the mental and physical benefits. At the end, I felt like a better person overall. This challenge was based on the idea that a daily practice, even if the session is short, is better than a longer session you do only once or twice a week. The challenge included videos as short as 10 minutes. I can always find 10 minutes in the day, but on the busiest days, I even have a gentle stretching segment that can be done in bed right before going to sleep, or can simply do sun salutations for a few minutes. This fits into my goal to do yoga for injury prevention and overall fitness.
Yes! This was more difficult to fit in. In this last week and a half, I found that I did less videos and more of just gentle stretching and twists and sun salutations. A few times, I even did yoga in bed! I went to bed about 15 minutes early and did gentle twists and stretches in bed and then fell asleep in savasana. The point of a yoga challenge is make time every day for yourself, to focus, to clear your mind, and to be present with your breathing. Even though I didn’t follow a formal routine every day, I found that even a few minutes helped me feel more centered, more calm, and less stressed. I was always happy that I made time for it, even if it was sometimes hard to do.

Note: This was the first time I’ve ever completed a 30-day challenge, and I completed two! I’m proud of myself for keeping up with both for all 30 days.

6. While I didn't make weight loss a January goal, getting back to my goal weight and maintaining it is an overall goal this year. I did great with tracking what I eat in Weight Watchers and lost 1.6 pounds this month. That's not a lot, but when combined with all the strength training I've been doing, I've seen a noticeable improvement in being more lean, and my pants are fitting better.  I have 6.5 more pounds to lose to get to goal weight. I will be posting about my weight loss overall tomorrow.

Bonus: While not part of my yearly goals, I want to look into creating a Pinterest account and learning how to use it.
Yes! I have a Pinterest account and am still learning to use it. I’ve been using it main for recipes.


February Goals


1. Run at least 84 miles to stay on track for my 1,000-mile yearly goal.

2. Run the Spring Thaw 10-Miler as a training run at the end of February.

3. Continue training for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon and do not miss a workout.

4. Create and follow a new strength training routine that fits into my training plan.

5. Continue to do yoga most days.

6. Track points in Weight Watchers. (This is an overall goal for 2015. I didn’t call it out for January, but I did accomplish it. I will be writing about my weight management in an upcoming post.)

How are you doing on your goals?

Labels: