January Strength Training Routine

Like I mentioned in my weekly update, I created a new strength training routine and wanted to post it here. This is a routine created by a personal trainer for me a few years ago that I slightly modified. I included links or an image to the exercises that might not be commonly known. I've also included a graphic, which I like to print out so that I can easily follow the exercises.

These exercises are done as supersets, where you do so many reps (12-15) of exercise A then immediately move on to exercise B, alternating between the two to complete two or three sets before moving on to the next set of exercises. I like supersets because there's no rest between exercises so it adds a bit of cardio, plus I like focusing on just two exercises at once. Somehow it feels more manageable than having a set of 12 exercises that I need to do and then repeating it all again (and again).

Because plyometrics are so beneficial for runners (see my last post with links to articles), I wanted to keep them in this new routine, so there is one plyometric exercise after each superset.



Lower Body and Core


1A: Dumbbell Squats
1B: Complete Crunches
Jumping Jacks (1 minute)

2A: Dumbbell Lunges
2B: Dumbbell Oblique Twists (standing)
Mountain Climbers (30 seconds-1 minute)

3A: Dumbbell Single-Leg Deadlift
3B: Plank (standard, on forearms)
Squat Jumps (15 regular, 15 plie-style)

4A: Froggie Butt Lifts
4B: Side Plank
Burpees (10-15)

5A: Leg Bridges with 3-Second Hold
5B: Side Lunges
Single-Leg Squat Jumps

6A: Clamshells
6B: Dumbbell Deadlifts

Do each group as a superset, alternating between A and B (10-15 reps) and completing two to three sets. Do the plyometric exercise before moving to the next group. Complete the routine twice a week.

Note: It takes me about 40 minutes to complete two sets of each exercise.

Upper Body

1A: Dumbbell Bench on Swiss Ball
1B: Dumbbell Bentover Swiss Ball Rows

2A: Stepper/Swiss Ball Dips (see below)
2B: Bentover Rows (with palms turned out so thumbs are by your thighs instead of palms turned in)

3A: Dumbbell Overhead Press
3B: Dumbbell Upright Rows

4A: Dumbbell Bicep Curls
4B: Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks

5A: Swiss Ball Tucks (see below)













5B: Superman
5C: Plank

Do each group as a superset, alternating between A and B (and C) (10-15 reps) and completing two to three sets. Complete the routine twice a week.

Note: It takes me about 20 minutes to complete two sets of each exercise.

Labels: