Black-Eyed Pea Dip (or Meal!)

One of the appetizers I made for New Year's Eve was an Indian-spiced Black-Eyed Pea Dip. It was one of the best new recipes I've tried in a long time. It was hard not to eat the entire dish after I made it. I did lick the pan and was not sorry about it. I served it with cut veggies and pita as an appetizer.

Later in the weekend I kept craving it, so I made it again. This time, instead of serving as an appetizer, I mixed it with brown rice for a meal. So good! I think I could eat this every day for all of 2016 and not be tired of it. If you like Indian food, you'll love this dish. Bonus is that it's quick and easy to make.

As an appetizer on pita bread.

Mixed with brown rice for a meal.

Black-Eyed Pea Dip

Recipe from October 2010 Vegetarian Times

1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
16 oz. black-eyed peas, cooked, rinsed, and drained
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (This will make the dish pretty spicy. Use more or less to taste.)
1/4 tsp garam masala
1-2 tsp fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

  1. Heat oil over medium-heat. Add cumin seeds and cook for 10 seconds. 
  2. Add black-eyed peas, 1/2 cup water, coriander, salt, turmeric, and cayenne. Bring to a boil then reduce to a medium-low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until water is mostly evaporated. (Note, if you plan to mash the peas, leave a bit more water because the peas will get dry and starchy when mashed.)
  3. Add the garam masala and lemon juice and cook for 1 more minute. If you want to mash the peas so it's a spread for an appetizer, they'll mash very easily with a fork. I mashed them when I made this as an appetizer but only partially mashed them when I made it into a meal.
  4. Transfer to a bowl and immediately add the red onion and cilantro. Add rice if eating as a meal. Best served warm.

Labels: