Vegan Oreo Truffles

Jessie from The Acquired Sass recently posted a recipe for Oreo Truffles that I wanted to try to veganize. Oreos are vegan only because they're so full of chemicals that they have pretty much no real ingredients in them--same with Bacon Bits, actually! But Jessie's Oreo Truffles calls for cream cheese. I like the Tofutti vegan cream cheese but wasn't sure that others would, so I decided to make vegan cream cheese cupcake frosting to replace regular cream cheese in the recipe.

For my first batch, I dipped them completely in melted vegan chocolate chips. I felt that the dark chocolate coating overpowered the Oreo taste a bit. So in my second batch, I simply added a thin layer of melted chocolate to the top by hand instead of coating them completely.

They came out great! I brought them to a party this past weekend, and everyone loved them. If you need a good, quick treat to bring to a holiday party, these are great!

The non-vegan version has only three ingredients, but because I wanted to make a cream cheese frosting, I used more. While Oreos are vegan, my stomach rebels against the crap and chemicals in them, so I used the Back to Nature brand.

Here's my veganized version.

Step 1: Make the cream cheese frosting. I doubled the recipe because I wasn't sure how much frosting to use. The below is the doubled recipe.

Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting, from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine, softened (I use the Earth Balance sticks.)
1/2 cup Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, softened (Do not use any other kind of vegan cream cheese! All the others suck!)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cream together the margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding the powdered sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla.

Step 2: Mash a whole box of the cookies in a big bowl. I used a pestle to mash. Add about half of the frosting and mix with the mashed cookies. Add more frosting as needed. I used about 2/3 of the frosting recipe.

Step 3: Form into balls and freeze.

Step 4: Heat chocolate chips in a small saucepan on low on the stove. Stir with a spatula until they're all melted. Then either dip truffles entirely in the chocolate, drizzle the chocolate over top, or, what I did the second time, coat the tops with a thin later of the melted chocolate.

Store in the fridge until you're ready to enjoy!

Labels: ,