Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies

I make holiday cookies every year, and most of my recipes come Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. I modified their basic chocolate chip recipe only to add the peppermint extract.

Many people ask me what the substitutes are for making the cookies vegan. The recipes I use don't do substitutions; instead, they build the recipe from the ground up to mimic the chemical reaction of non-vegan baked good ingredients.

I think this is the best chocolate chip cookie ever--soft and chewy on the inside, a little crispy on the outside, and wonderful. The mint makes it just perfect. I brought these into work this week, and everyone loved them. (By the way, no one knows they're vegan unless I tell them. I give my neighbors cookies every year and they always rave about them. I've never told them they're vegan!)

If you have your own favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe you want to use, all you need to do is to add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract in addition to your vanilla extract.

Enjoy!


Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 24 2-inch cookies or 16 3-inch cookies

Ingredients
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two large baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
  2. Combine sugars, oil, almond milk, and tapioca flour in a mixing bowl. Use a strong fork and mix really well, for about 2 minutes, until the mixture resembles smooth caramel. There is a chemical reaction when sugar and oil collide, so it's important that you don't get lazy about that step. Mix in the vanilla and peppermint.
  3. Add 1 cup of the flour, the baking soda, and the salt. Mix until well incorporated. Mix in the rest of the flour. Fold in the chocolate chips. If the dough is a little stiff (mine usually isn't), use your hands to really work the chips in.
  4. For 3-inch cookies, roll the dough into balls about the size of ping-pong balls. Flatten them out in your hands to about 2 1/2 inches. As they cook, they will spread just a bit. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes--no more than 9--until they are just a little browned around the edges. Let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks.
  5. For 2-inch cookies, roll dough into walnut-sized balls and flatten to about 1 1/2 inches and bake for about 6 minutes. Note that my dough tends to be softer, so I just use a tablespoon and scoop them.

Labels: , ,