What I Wore Pittsburgh Marathon Weekend

I put so much thought into my race day outfit that I wanted to do a separate post about it. Looking back on what I wore that weekend, it's funny to see that the weather went from very cool to very hot.

Thursday: Blogger Event
The blogger event was inside Wigle Whiskey, a local distillery, in the evening. It felt very cool that evening, so I wanted to wear a long sleeve top. I wore the Lululemon Just Breathe Long Sleeve in Heathered Slate, which I got marked down for a good price (it's no longer available). While made with performance fabric, the mesh and design at the top is so pretty and makes it look like a casual top. I've only worn this top for casual wear and have gotten many compliments on it. I paired it with a black Athleta skirt from a few years ago and ruby pumps from Target (where I buy most of my shoes because they're synthetic and not leather). I carried the Lululemon Hip to Be Free Bag.

Mesh detail in the Just Breathe Long Sleeve

Friday: Expo
I walked from the Northside to Downtown with my dog, dropped my dog off at my husband's office, and walked to the expo from there. It was very cool when we left the house near lunch time, but it was really sunny so heated up when we left. I wore the Lululemon Pace Pusher Long Sleeve in Heathered Black and Roll Down Wunder Under Crops in Bruised Berry. I wore the Lorna Jane Rhianan Sports Bra in Laguna Beach and love the pop of color through the mesh. I really love the Pace Pusher Long Sleeve. It's really soft, and I love the mesh in front and the ventilation detail on the back. It was easy to push up the sleeves when I got hot.

Saturday: The 5K
Again, it was very cool on Saturday morning, in the upper 40s. I was so cold walking from my house to the race. For being a race blogger, I received a Brooks Women's Essential Half Zip (which is really a quarter zip) in Bright Pink. I wore that and older Athleta Relay Capris in Asphalt and my Lululemon Beachscape Bang Buster. The Brooks top was very lightweight but kept me comfortable. The fabric is a very soft poly. However, I found the seams to be very scratchy. I took it off several times to look for whatever was scratching me in the arms, but it was just the seams. I wore the neck zipped up until the race started and the seams in the neck scratched me too. There is a hidden interior pocket in the side with a fold-over flap. I used it to store my keys and tissue, which was nice, but it was very hard to get things into and out of the pocket so it wouldn't be good to get things out mid-race. Overall I thought the weight of the half zip was good for the weather and it kept me comfortable. When I got warm mid-race, it was easy to push up the sleeves. But I would not buy this half zip because of the scratchy seams. The half zip came with a Pittsburgh Marathon logo on it, but the logo came off when I washed it.

Sunday: The Half Marathon
The big event! I wanted something comfortable, functional, cute, and colorful. I wore Lululemon black Chase Me Crops from 2011, the first piece of running gear I got. I chose them for the abundant pockets--two in the front waistband, one zippered in the back waistband, and two on the side thighs. I carried my phone, lip balm, tissues, and gels in the side pockets and keys in the back pocket. I love these side pockets because it's so quick and easy to get stuff in and out of them. The only bad thing about these crops is that they're so old that they've lost some of their compression. I should have tied the waist drawstring before the race started and didn't, so they did fall down a bit but not too much.

I bought a new top and bra. I got the new Lululemon Sculpt Tank in the popular Pigment Wave Multi print. It's colorful and a little wacky, which is exactly what I wanted. This print had just been released right before the race, so I didn't see anyone else wearing this print during the race. I did see many people wearing the Iridescent Multi print, which had been released a few weeks ago. The Sculpt Tank is loose fitting and airy, so it was extremely comfortable. It's made with Warpstreme fabric, which is very lightweight and has a UPF of 50+. The shoulders have mesh and the back has a cut-out to keep you cool. This has to be one of my favorite running tanks! It's so comfortable, I never had to adjust it once during the race, and there was nice airflow between the mesh and the cut-out in the back. The back is designed so that you can wear either a racerback-style bra to show off the straps or a bra with regular straps. I also like the higher neckline, which will keep my chest protected from the sun. I'll get a lot of wear out of this tank for summer running. I actually bought two different colors of the tank to try out, with the intention of returning one, but I love the tank so much I decided to keep both. I bought the same size as I wear in the Cool Racerback (6), and it was a nice loose fit. NOTE: I tried the tank on again after washing it, and either the tank shrunk a bit (which has never happened with a Lulu product before), or the tank really stretches out when wearing it, because it is a little more fitted post-wash.

I also got the Lululemon Energy Bra in Regal Plum. I wanted to wear some shade of purple for the race, and I love this magenta shade. I thought it looked really cute from the back. I typically wear either the Energy or All Sport Bras for running. I find them supportive enough, and they're extremely comfortable and never cause chafing.

Race day outfit! Lululemon Pigment Wave Multi Sculpt Tank &
Chase Me Crops
My favorite feature of Lulu tights--side pockets!



Regal Plum Energy Bra
Pigment Wave Multi Sculpt Tank

View of the back
Chase Me Crops from 2011--my first running gear purchase
Though my race didn't go as planned, at least I got a new cute outfit out of it!

Labels: , , , ,