Five Goals and Misc. Things About the Pittsburgh Half Marathon


Happy Friday and happy May! Last night I attended an event the Pittsburgh Marathon put on for the bloggers. Some of the professional runners were there too. I really enjoyed talking to everyone and meeting new people, and it got me even more excited for the race. My only regret is that I didn't get to talk to more people. I'll post some pictures from the event later after I download them.

For now, it's Friday Five time, so I'm linking up with Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Mar at Mar On The Run, and Cynthia at You Signed Up For What? for today's Friday Five. Mar was at the event last night, and it was great to chat with her in person!

So, who's tired of hearing me gush about the Pittsburgh Half Marathon? ;-) As fellow runners, you know the anticipation of your goal race is like Christmas morning when you're a kid, so thanks for bearing with me! Here are my goals and other notes about Sunday's race.

1. Pittsburgh Marathon 5K Goals
My only goal for the 5K on Saturday is to have fun and go easy. I was wrong about my schedule. I was only supposed to do 2 easy miles, not 2 pace miles. So I'll be walking 1 mile and running the rest at a very easy pace. This will be my slowest 5K ever, but that's okay. If you're running the 5K, don't forget about the meetup right before at 7:30. I'm excited to see everyone there!

2. Pittsburgh Half Marathon Goals
Finish strong. This is my top goal and what I've been working toward this training cycle. I hope to achieve a negative split and finish with enough energy to make it up the hill in mile 12 without walking.

Achieve one of these pace goals, with A being the best scenario. Because I'm sure I'll be running over 13.1 because of the crowded course, I'm not setting a time goal.

Have fun. Unless aliens pick Sunday morning to invade and a war of the worlds begins or I crap my pants, I can't imagine not having fun. But I'm leaving it as a goal to remind myself to experience the awesome crowd support and fun vibe I've heard so much about.

3. Getting Enough Sleep
I don't normally have a problem sleeping through the night, but that hasn't always been the case. I frequently get up to pee in the middle of the night and used to have trouble falling back asleep. However, I found a solution that has worked for me 100% of the time and that I'll be implementing this weekend. It's so simple, and when you read it you will likely scoff. I know it sounds super new-agey and silly, but I SWEAR it works! Once I'm in bed, I repeat to myself over and over until I fall asleep, "I will sleep through the night. I will sleep through the night." That's it! Even if I have to get up to pee, I don't have a problem falling back to sleep. By the way, this same strategy works if you want to remember your dreams. Just tell yourself, "I will remember my dreams" as you're falling asleep, and you will! I'll supplement this strategy by napping today after work and most of the afternoon tomorrow.

4. Race Day Outfit
Deciding what to wear for this race felt like choosing my prom gown in high school. I want the outfit to be cute but to also be comfortable, have the functionality to carry all the things I need to, and be visible enough for my husband to pick me out of the crowd. My cutest bottoms are running skirts, so I thought about wearing one. However, I've never done a long run in one. None of mine have ever ridden up, but will the tight legs on the shorts be comfortable for that long a distance? Plus, running outside all winter has completely ruined my body temperature. I used to think runners wearing jackets in 40 degrees were crazy, and now I'm one of them! I used to hate being hot, but now I'd rather be hot when I heat up than be cold for any period of time whatsoever. With the temps at race start predicted to be only 50, I think I'll be too cold in a skirt. So I'm wearing basic black running capris. But, they're special. They're the first running gear I bought when I started running in 2011, and I wore them for my first 5K and first half marathon. They're from Lululemon and have the five pockets with two side pockets that I need to carry my gels, keys, phone, and tissue. I did get a new tank, though! It's colorful and funky while being extremely comfortable. I'm not going to post a photo so that it will be a surprise on race day, but I LOVE my race day outfit. It's perfect!

5. Where I'll Be This Weekend
Saturday I'll be at the 7:30 meetup before the 5K and then running very slowly in the 5K. After I change and regroup after I finish the half marathon on Sunday, I'll be on the course Downtown to cheer on the marathoners. I plan to be either right at the finish line or by the Kaufmann's (now Macy's) clock on Smithfield Street. If you see me, please say hi, and if I see you on the course, I'll cheer for you. 

Also, if you're running on Sunday, look for my husband and greyhound Django just after the 16th Street Bridge before the course turns left onto East Ohio Street. Say hi to Django if you see him!

Good luck to everyone running this weekend! I'll post my recaps next Monday.

Labels: , ,