My Healthy Super Bowl Menu

After the Pittsburgh Steelers, my favorite team is the one playing the New England Patriots (though when they played against the Baltimore Ravens, I just couldn't root for either.)  But I have no great love for the Seattle Seahawks, who are still whining over their loss to the Steelers in the 2005 Super Bowl. So I’m not really excited about tomorrow's game, but I am excited about the food! Super Bowl Sunday is a great excuse to put together a fun menu and try some recipes, even if it will just be my husband and me.

I’m always about healthy food, and my omnivore husband is always about tasty food regardless of how healthy it is, so I look for meals and snacks to satisfy us both. Here’s my omnivore-husband-approved menu for tomorrow.

Spicy Lentil and Chipotle Dip
. I saw this recipe through a recent Meatless Monday post and wanted to try it. As a vegan, I have probably eaten more hummus in the past few years than most people eat their whole lives. So I’m always looking for new dip recipes. This recipe is a pureed combination of lentils, white beans, chipotle peppers, and seasonings. I’ll serve it with pretzel crisps and light crackers.

Image from Happy Herbivore

Nachos. This is a great way to accommodate different tastes and dietary restrictions. My version will have tortilla chips I make from corn tortillas, black beans, green onions, corn, guacamole, salsa, and a vegan queso sauce (recipe from Happy Herbivore here). My husband's will have components of mine but with store-bought tortilla chips, real cheese, and taco-seasoned ground meat.

Baked Fries with Curry Ketchup and Chipotle Aioli. Baked fries—a potato sliced thin and baked with little or no oil—are something we both love. I’ll have two dipping sauces to fancy them up, both recipes from the Happy Herbivore Holidays and Gatherings cookbook.

Soft Pretzel Bites. This will be the one splurge. I’ve made soft pretzels using whole-wheat flour so they’re healthier. I found a vegan version that uses regular flour and some vegan margarine, so they will be buttery and much less healthy. But I’ll be making them into little bites so that I can manage portions.

Are you making any special snacks for Super Bowl? I hope you enjoy the game, whoever you’re rooting for!

Labels: ,