Happy Monday! Today I'm linking up with Confessions of a Mother Runner and Tina Muir for Meatless Monday.
Get out your crock pot for this simple, wholesome, filling dish. I love making risotto with barley, a good source of fiber, protein, B vitamins, iron, and selenium. This recipe calls for pearled barley, which cooks faster though does have less nutrients than other forms of barley. It's still a nutritious grain, though, and it cooks up creamy like a rice-based risotto. The sweet potato adds just a touch of sweetness, and the subtle rosemary flavor makes it interesting. I find this dish filling enough to make a light main meal when paired with a salad or a veggie side.
It makes enough to fill five two-cup mason jars. I calculated the Weight Watchers Points, and it's just 5 Points per serving.
Sweet Potato Barley Risotto
Recipe from 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 cups vegetable broth, but have about a half-cup more on hand
- 1 1/2 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft. Add garlic and rosemary and saute for one minute more.
- Add barley and toss to ensure barley is coated evenly.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Place the cubed sweet potato in slow cooker stoneware. Add the barley mixture and mix well.
- Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. I had to add about 1/4 cup more broth while it was cooking. NOTE: Mine was done in 1.5 hours on high, but my slow cooker is always done quicker than the recipe times.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately, though it's also good at room temperature.
Labels: Meatless Monday, recipe