Creamy Broccoli & Red Lentil Soup


Happy Monday! This soup is one of my favorites. It's a combination of creamy broccoli soup and spicy Indian lentil dal. Even my omnivore husband, hater of soymilk and tofu, loves this soup. The recipe from the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook makes only two servings, but it's easy to double it if you want leftovers. My husband and I had it for dinner last night, and because I doubled it, there's enough for me to have it three more times. Because of the lentils, this soup is filling and makes a good main course when combined with veggie or grain sides.

Be sure to use red lentils, which break apart a little when cooked and add to the creamy consistency of the soup. If you try it with other types of lentils, you'll probably want to puree the soup.

Creamy Broccoli Dal (Red Lentil Soup)
from Vegan Yum Yum
Serves 2
  1. Heat the oil on medium-high to high in a pot. Add the cumin and mustard seeds, chopped onion, and lentils and saute, stirring often, until the seeds start to pop and the lentil color starts to lighten. You may need to add some cooking spray to prevent everything from sticking, or just stir constantly like I did.
  2.  Add the broccoli, water, and salt. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli and lentils are tender and the soup is thick.
  3. Add the soy milk, soy sauce, lemon juice, and spices. Turn down the heat so it doesn't boil, and let it cook for a few minutes until everything is warm and the flavors have meshed. Stir well and adjust the seasonings if needed (I added more salt), and serve immediately.
This recipe is part of the Meatless Monday linkup hosted by Confessions of a Mother Runner and Tina Muir. I can't wait to check out the other recipes!



Labels: ,