Mex Style Pasta & Beans

Last week when I posted about protein, people had good comments about protein-ing up pasta with beans. This week I made a recipe I make pretty frequently called Pablo Pasta from the Everyday Happy Hervibore cookbook. (I have been a recipe tester for four Happy Herbivore cookbooks and LOVE her recipes!)


It's a south-of-the-border twist on Mac & Cheese that's delicious. It calls for a vegan cheese sauce (you can obviously sub whatever cheese you want) spiced up with paprika, red pepper flakes, and green chilies mixed with whole wheat pasta, black beans, and green onions. You can add veggies of course, but I've been eating it with a side salad so don't need more veggies. This version with just the pasta, cheese sauce, and beans is extremely filling, and a serving has 23 grams of protein.

I tend to associate beans and pasta with Italian flavors, so this recipe is a different take on standard beans and pasta. It's also--as with most Happy Herbivore recipes--light and quick and easy to make.

Labels: , ,