Fit Review: Athleta Running Tights

I recently bought two pairs of Athleta running tights on sale.

The first was the Bare to Run Knicker, on sale for $29.99 (original price was $59). I need a pair of running tights in this length for summer, and the material is supposed to be lightweight. I loved the fabric, which is recycled polyester/Spandex. The fabric felt incredibly soft but still very lightweight. It wasn't scratchy or uncomfortable at all. The knicker has reflective details, a back pocket, and mesh behind the knees.

 

Unfortunately, the seam just before the mesh in the back of the knee was very tight and uncomfortable. These are size small, so the next size up may fit better behind the knee, but then I'd worry about the pants falling down during running. It's hard to see in the photo, but here's a shot of the seam--you can see how it's digging in to my leg.

I read one review online that said said the seams weren't too tight, so it is probably just me. Those who are thinner in that area probably won't have any problems. For me, though, it was so uncomfortable that I'll be returning these. It's a shame, because they are a great price.

I also ordered the Relay Capri in Light Morning Glory Purple for $44.99 (original price was $69).
Love these! The fabric is Athleta's signature Pilayo, so it was very soft and comfortable. In these photos I'm wearing it with an Athleta Chi Tank in extra-long, which is also extremely soft, a white Lululemon Energy Bra, and a wee-strip white/heathered grey Bangbuster. I got the size small, which fits like Lululemon size 6.

These capris have a nicely wide waistband, a drawstring, reflective details, and a pocket in the back. They are opaque.

I haven't run in these yet but plan to use them for spring and fall running. I probably won't wear them in summer because the fabric isn't very lightweight.

Here's a close-up of the mesh at the back of the knee.

The color is gorgeous, so I'm surprised there are so many of these left in all sizes at the sale price. These photos don't do it justice and give it a blue-ish tone, but it's a really nice purple. Here's another photo with better lighting showing the purple Relay Capris in the middle, Lululemon deep zinfandel Speed Tights on the left, and Lululemon Power Purple rulu running top on the right (yes, very pilled--from about four years ago).


The Relay Capris are so comfortable that I will probably wear them for casual wear too, and usually I don't wear running tights for casual wear. These get a big thumbs up from me. If you like purple and need running capris, get a pair while you still can!

Labels: ,